Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Jenny - Day 1 the Jewellery Explosion

Apeldoorn!
The past 48 hours have been excruciatingly long, tireing, inspiring and enlighten. After stumbling off the plane in Amsterdam we hit the road without delay, an hour later we were in Apeldoorn stepping through the doors of the CODA museum. 


'A little earth on the skin'
Tiina Rajakallio
Purity, 2008
Necklaces, brooch | porcelain, clay, lint, human hair, shellac, alginate, wood, vinamold, bioresin
Peter Hoogeboom
Gallerie Marzee was next, it was a lot more intense compared to CODA but I guess you can't compare two galleries that are so different to begin with. There were so many things to see at Marzee I found myself opening and closing draws aimlessly and no longer absorbing anything, but I think that was also a side effect from the lack of sleep and hunger.

Tiina Rajakallio's use of human hair as a necklace cord, a natural fibre not normally associated with jewellery, a material and concept I find to be the most intriguing. Exploring and experimenting with different materials can be a fascinating part of the development of work, something I know I will find myself doing when I get back to the bench. 

No comments:

Post a Comment