Saturday, March 2, 2013

Blind Drawings

Disastrous Blind Drawing Attempt 1: A hybrid of a blind drawing exercise and Mr Squiggle
Titled Whale and Shark Collide and Make Beautiful New Breed of Mammal 


Perhaps the most interesting part of visiting an artist’s studio is seeing the environment in which they work. I take note of how a studio is organised, what is given precedent and what is displayed. Ruudt Peter’s studio is large and narrow. My attention was drawn to large black pen portraits with wild lines. Although partially obscured by stacks of black storage boxes against a wall, it was obvious the drawings were of Ruudt, by Ruudt.

He referred to the portraits in his presentation – they were part of his practice of blind drawing. He explained that he uses this technique as a way to lose control, to separate his mind from his learnt behaviour and access his intuition. The process provides a break from the traditions and learnt behaviours of a goldsmith, practitioner and maker. He gains inspiration from this sense of freedom.

Intuition is an important process and something that often alludes me. I plan too much and as a result, my work can lack a sense of spontaneity. Inspired by Ruudt's blind drawing practice, I've started experimenting with this technique by engaging in games of blind contour drawing, Mr. Squiggle, timed drawings and exquisite corpse. As seen above, I'm still struggling to make anything as captivating as Ruudt's face but I intend to keep on trying. 

No comments:

Post a Comment