Friday, March 1, 2013

Day Three (David)



Day three was a bit of a non event for me. Whilst we saw allsorts of interesting pieces in the Stedelijk Museum and at Gallery Koudijs,nothing really stood out for me. However, to kill some time inbetween, wevisited a design store called Frozen Fountain:
I found this store very interesting, although I didn’t buyanything. I was intrigued by all the ‘boy stuff,’ which one tends to become alittle starved of when looking in jewellery galleries all day I consideredpurchasing a wallet or a folding knife, but I didn’t. I was interested to see,in person, an Opinel knife (three, actually), which are a wonderfullystreamlined design, which follows very much the form follows function axiom and has stood the test of time.
Unfortunately I wasn’t taking photos or notes because Iexpected not to be writing about this.  But what intrigued me even more than thosethings I considered buying, was a pair of cufflinks and a matching wallet (byan unknown designer, who I wasn’t able to find on the website either).  These cufflinks consisted essentially of asteel clasp with a square face, but on top of this was stitched a square ofleather, the same finish as the wallet, which was an unusual orange-tan colour,in distressed leather. This notion of matching accessories is something I amvery interested in. I certainly have gone to some effort to make those items Icarry every day aesthetically united, but what I saw in the shop is a slightlydifferent matter, because cufflinks are only worn with special clothing. Ishould point out that I consider the boundary between jewellery and accessoriesto be blurred. I would have liked to see some other items with the set, perhapsa leather key fob or even a pair of shoes which matched the other bits andpieces. To crown the whole assembly, there could be a pair of glasses, afountain pen, a tie clip and a belt, all incorporating the same leather, butthat’s really just my imagination going too far and imposing my ownsensibilities upon something which the designer intended to be somethingdifferent, but I am glad that this unknown designer has made me think this much.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you are onto something with this David. Remember to hold that thought when you are back and making again.

    ReplyDelete