Thursday, March 14, 2013

Emma: Thoughts of Home on day 16

On the train from Munich to Pforzheim and from Pforzheim to Nuremburg I started thinking about what Souvenir I would create for this project. Here's what I was writing with a few additions:

Home is instinctual- whereever we've lived/stayed in Amsterdam and Munich I have been calling it home. In a way it is our home here; it's home base, where we can relax, hang out and sleep (without worrying about how cold it is outside) but it's not home with a captial 'H'.

I didn't really think about 'Home' until I skyped with my sisters as they were cooking dinner back in Sydney. We were having such a nice, long chat that they put the laptop they were talking to me through at the head of the dining table so that I could "have dinner with them" (we usually sit down to a family meal every night). There was laughter, lots of easy chatter, teasing and the occasional swear word - it made me really miss them.

Travelling with friends is hard, no matter how close (or not) you were to them at the start of the trip, friendships develop quickly. You find out your own and everyone's good and bad personality traits quickly and you have to learn to cope with whatever is happening. Sharing stories about eachother's 'Homes' was my favourite part about getting to know everyone. Everyone has such different family lives and upbringings; they all had relationships of varying degrees and strengths that was interesting to compare with my own.

"Gezellig", the dutch word from the beginning of the trip, has stuck with me throughout the trip. Every time I took another photo of another door I thought about who inhabited the spaces behind it.

Home means so many different things to different people and I think that's what I want to explore. I'm not sure if it fits with our brief yet but I think I'll have to look over that when I am less sleepy...

No comments:

Post a Comment