Thursday, March 7, 2013

Peter - Day Nine - The begging of gallery openings!

Today only a few of the overall Schuck chosen galleries opened, the majority of them will instead open tomorrow.

However, it majority of theses gallery were in the east of the city and were far apart from each other, and we all agree to get those out of the way.

The day went by, the were the traditional talking to the artists and explaining their work, offerings of beverages and food. But nothing really caught my attention strongly though, I'm there were some interesting piece, but nothing that would stay in my memory for a long time.

It wasn't till we came to the last exhibition for the day that really caught my attention. It was Transit, a Contemporary Jewellery exhibition from Israel, showing Israel's contemporary jewellery scene.

Many of the artists work had something amazing techniques and created some intricate pieces, while other had some powerful messages behind them such as war or judgement.

One of the piece that really stood out to me though was this, what seems to be, broach that was a rock that has a small speaker in it saying, "Don't Judge by my appearance."

This piece really resonated with me. What it did to me was reminded of my earlier conversations early in the week with my good old teacher/friend and Andrea Wagner and the subject of the "Hidden Immigrant." It looked like a simply rock, but it wasn't, it was a jewellery piece, making different from any other rock. However, if you put in a pile of pebble rocks, it look exactly the say and you won't be able to tell the difference until you interacted with it. That was the "Hidden Immigrant" scenario is like. In my case, I look like a Australian, and may sound Australian at first, thus I blend in with everyone back in Australia. However, I am not an Australian, for the fact that for my whole life except for the last two years, I grew up overseas, making me have a difference cultural background to everyone else back in my "home" country. So when I did come "home", I was integrating back with my home culture, but no one knew, so it was "hidden". It way, I could be like this rock, something that looks simple but is more complex.

It's interesting how I am coming back to thinking about culture and travel.

No comments:

Post a Comment