Thursday, March 14, 2013

Books



There is so much to see at Schmuck and its satellite events. So much that it becomes completely overwhelming unless you have some means of anchoring the experience. Some people record their thoughts in journal or blog entries, others take photographs or sketch. I buy books - the laziest (that is, until you have to carry them home) and most expensive option.

Schmuck transforms into a book pilgrimage. I get book envy. In 2011, I injured myself by carrying Karl Fritsch's Metrosideros Robusta around Amsterdam. I buy books predominately in German because I get caught up in the moment and convince myself that the pictures are worth it. I had to buy an extra suitcase. In 16 days, I collected 16.5 kilograms of books - almost a third of my body weight. It is a personal record.

These books reference my experience. Metaphorically, they are my photographs, my journal entries and my sketches. Each one reminds me of a specific person, place or exhibition.

These books find their home in my homemade jewellery library where, just like a giant printed jewellery box, I keep as many of these precious pieces in my possession as possible.


No comments:

Post a Comment