Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Day Eight (David)



Day eight we went to the Shmuck fair and later visited Mari Ishakawa and Laura Deakin in their studio. At the fair, the most interesting jewellery thing I saw was the kinetic jewellery of Michael Berger, even though it doesn’t appeal to me aesthetically. There isn’t really much to say other than that it is wonderful to see such technically complex work so elegantly achieved, such that it looks simple. It takes something like this to really make it clear that I don’t need to like the aesthetics of work in order to appreciate it. However, in this case, the work wouldn’t suit itself if it appealed to my aesthetics. The clean lines and high polish, being the elements of the work which grate on my aesthetic senses, are reminiscent of celestial bodies, which plays into the kinetic aspect of the work.

No comments:

Post a Comment