Saturday, March 9, 2013

Stephanie's day Elf in München


The Importance of a well-structured space

I can’t speak for others, and looking back even now, I’m not altogether sure that I’m speaking for myself totally, but I like the idea of having the artist present at shows. I feel that the works I was best able to react to and interact with, were those that were supported by the presence of the artist. There wasn’t a single artist that did not seem to find a great pleasure to answer all our questions – even those we hadn’t asked or didn’t think to. Some might argue to the point that having the artist’s interpretation of their work can keep the audience from projecting their own interpretation, or else taint it. But I enjoy the duality of meanings and the juxtaposition of them. I think having more than one interpretation can only enhance a work, adding depth and context. 

The way jewellery is presented, in the “white box” devoid of body and context that I feel misses the point of jewellery – as a holder of stories or an emblem of social conventions. When piece is presented abstract, everything that jewellery can be feels lost. Instead of being some kind of pure aesthetic vessel for the wearer to being imbuing with stories, it is only heartless material, alone in a glass box, neither art nor accessory. Without the artist, the gallery must act at facilitator, to bring the audience into the world and make them want to own a part of it. Therefore the gallery must include everything the artist can’t say, to set the mood, inspire connections. One example that at least speaks to what I’m explaining was the exhibition held at the Staatliche Antikensammlungen (State Collections of Antiques for all you non-Germans playing at home) which held works of modern goldsmiths inspired by the ancient jewellery collection at the museum.

 Having the inspiration present meant I felt I was able to follow the though processes of the artists. The particular work that definitely ended up my favorite was “Befingert und Beschriftet” 2012 armreif (“Fingered and Labeled” bracelet) by Gerd Rothmann. I might have figured it out on my own, but I felt much more involved in recognizing the reference to men and women as sun and moon, through Rothmann beautiful recreations of nipples in silver and gold.



No comments:

Post a Comment