Sunday, March 10, 2013

Stephanie's day Zwölf in München


A Successful Show

Again, I know I’m out of whack with time, but I can’t keep it from running away from me, all that’s left is to grab what’s around me and follow, probably drop a few things like my memories of yesterday because I’ve tried to throw my scarf over a shoulder. Metaphors aside, I’m definitely sure this blog belongs on another day, but who am I to enforce order and reason upon an experience that has clearly become a mad whirlwind of moments? I’m sure it’s better this way. Especially because I couldn’t go on without mentioning my favourite show, “The Mato por que te Amo / I Kill you Because I Love you” by Jorge Manilla and Shari Pierce. I found it a perfect juxtaposition of emotion and reason, both artists having their own room side-by-side to present their own explorations of the darker emotions. 







First we visited Jorge Manilla's pendants. Jenny said they look like Dementor phlegm. 










I agreed somewhat, but found myself drawn over and over again to their elegant drips, the demanding nature of their presence, how (and Manilla does this) a single piece can take up an entire room. In reference to yesterday's post, above all this was one of the best shows because of the artists' presence. Mr Manilla was more than happy to tell us all about the work and it's inspiration. He said they're the manifestation of the savagery of human nature in modern times - of violence in passion and in ignorance. I think the pieces disagree with themselves; as manifestations of evil but they apear sad and alone even in their gallery space. There's a beauty in their form and contrast in their appearance to their weight which is minimal.



No comments:

Post a Comment